Stopping Forever Wars: A Discussion with
Cindy Sheehan & Vincent Emanuele
6 PM, Wednesday, October 9th
Grace Place, 637 S. Dearborn Street, Chicago
Download Event Flyer
Ongoing wars that the U.S. started years ago have become so commonplace that many Americans barely know they’re continuing.
While many are angry about repeated mass shootings in the U.S., few pay attention to the far greater violence the United States perpetrates on innocent people around the world:
- Repeated drone bombings of several countries: Yemen, Syria, Somalia, Pakistan, Afghanistan, and Iraq;
- An ongoing occupation of a large portion of Syria, and years of U.S. troops in Syria, Afghanistan and Iraq;
- Support for Israel’s bombings of Syria and Lebanon, and Saudi Arabia’s intentional bombings of civilian targets in Yemen;
- Support for Israel’s periodic bombings and sniper fire on Palestinians in Gaza, its increasingly devastating strangulation of that territory by a decade-long blockade, the continued thefts of Palestinian land by Israel, and the official relegation of Palestinian citizens in Israel to 2nd class citizenship;
- Repeated provocative actions by the U.S. which threaten a full-blown war with Iran;
- The ongoing economic warfare against Iran, Venezuela and Cuba through devastating trade embargoes and sanctions that history shows always hurt ordinary citizens of the targeted countries the most;
- And, of course, the United States’ longest wars in its history – the 18-year-long U.S. war on Afghanistan and 16-year occupation of Iraq.
This daily U.S. slaughter and oppression of peoples around the world, direct and indirect, all of it intentional and calculated, must end.
All of our hopes for decent treatment of working people in the U.S. – from accessible medical care for all, affordable housing, free education and guaranteed incomes for all, to addressing the climate crisis – are held hostage to a U.S. military budget which is more than the world’s next eight largest military budgets combined, including Russia’s and China’s.
On the anniversary of the U.S. invasion of Afghanistan, please join a conversation with two of the most thoughtful anti-war activists in the U.S. –
“Stopping Forever Wars: A Discussion with Cindy Sheehan and Vince Emanuele”
Please note: Grace Place is wheelchair accessible
Sponsored by the Chicago Committee Against War & Racism.
Co-sponsored by: (list in formation)
Chicago Area Peace Action
Voices for Creative Nonviolence
Chicago Anti-War Coalition
To endorse, message us or send an email to CCAWR@aol.com
Please join us, and others in the broader peace movement, on October 9th!
Cindy Sheehan is the mother of Spc. Casey Austin Sheehan who was killed in the immoral U.S. occupation of Iraq on April 04, 2004. Since her son’s death, Cindy has become a noted peace and political activist. She has received multiple awards for peace from around the world; published seven books; and has maintained a podcast Cindy Sheehan’s Soapbox since January of 2009.